Cheers to all coffee lovers out there. Today is National Coffee Day celebrated in many countries every 29th of September including our very own, Philippines. But we celebrate National Coffee Day on October 21, to showcase Lipa City in Batangas as the longstanding ” Coffee Granary of the Philippines. It is also the day to raise awareness for the plight of coffee growers and to promote fair trades.
HISTORY OF COFFEE AND HOW IT SPREADS AROUND THE WORLD:
According to legend, a sixth-century Ethiopian goatherd named Kaldi discovered his goats frolicking from one coffee shrub to another. He realised the coffee berries had a s stimulating effect, and he began to experiment with the seeds. A century later, brewed coffee emerged in Arabia, coffee grew at an exponential rate.
Today, over 400 billion cups of coffee consumed each year. It is a world commodity that is second to oil.
BENEFITS OF COFFEE BASED ON SCIENCE:
- Coffee Can Improve Energy Levels and Make You Smarter. This is because the stimulant called caffeine, which is actually the most commonly consumed psychoactive substance in the world.
- Coffee Can Help You Burn Fat. There’s a good reason for that…caffeine is one of the very few natural substances that have actually been proven to aid fat burning.
- The Caffeine Can Drastically Improve Physical Performance. Caffeine stimulates the nervous system, causing it to send signals so that fat cells to break down body fat.
- There Are Essential Nutrients in Coffee. Coffee is more than just black water. Many of the nutrients in the coffee beans do make it into the last drink.
- Coffee Can Fight Depression and Make You Happier. Depression is a serious mental disorder that causes a much reduced quality of life.
- Coffee Does Not Cause Heart Disease and May Lower The Risk of Stroke. It is often claimed that caffeine can increase blood pressure. This is true, but the effect is small and usually goes away if your drink coffee regularly.
- Coffee May Help You Live Longer. Given that coffee drinkers are less likely to get many diseases, it make sense that coffee could help you live longer.
HOW TO CELEBRATE NATIONAL COFFEE DAY:
- Send e-card or a holiday greeting through social media.
- Seek out deals from coffee shops.
- Purchase and taste some fair trade coffee
- Support your local, independent coffee shops
- Learn about the origin and history of coffee
- Experiment with a new brewing method
Don’t forget to take a coffee break to celebrate the historical and important beverage! Whether you favour espresso, americans, lattes or cappuccino; instant coffee Coffee Day is the day to savour and appreciate your beverage, with loved ones or friends.